Wednesday, June 27, 2012

MACHO FERN COOLS ME DOWN


WHY DOES IT GET A WINK?
ANSWER: Because it's different and beautiful.
Macho Fern (Nephrolepis biserrata) is a Florida native that's big, BIG, BIG and will flourish with very little care. It looks like somebody's dumped a box of Miracle Grow on a Boston fern, but I assure you it's a different species. It can take temperatures up to 104 without wilting. Just make sure you keep it in shade and well-watered.

WIWA(What am I whining about):
Just one thing; it HATES frost. I've killed it because I thought MACHO meant tough. It doesn't. Bring it in during freezes.
Personal story:
This is a strange fern to find here in Texas. I remember when it flooded the market. Then it disappeared. Now you can find it again. You can never find it in a small pot and there's always a gajillion babies popping out of the drainholes. It would be nice for someone to sell a small pot of Macho. I got mine for a dollar on a DEATH ROW area of a garden center. As you can see, it's doing fine with some TLC.
Try it if you live along the Texas coast.
David  ;0)


No comments:

Post a Comment